Te Tii (Waitangi) B3 Trust is an ahu whenua trust constituted under section 215 of Te Ture Whenua Maori Act 1993. The Trust is a Maori Authority for tax purposes and is governed by a trust deed approved by the Maori Land Court in accordance with the Act.
The Trust administers 70 freehold blocks located in Waitangi. 85% of the land is zoned commercially with the remainder classed as residential.
The Trust portfolio is comprised of:
The Trust is the limited partner of Te Tii Limited Partnership (TTLP) and Te Tii No.2 Limited Partnership (TT2LP). The Trustees (in their capacity as trustees of the Trust) are joint shareholders in Te Tii GP Limited. Te Tii GP is the general partner of TTLP, and a general partner of TT2LP. As the general partner, Te Tii GP is exclusively responsible for the management and control of the Limited Partnerships.
The operating commercial businesses under TTLP are as follows:
The operating commercial businesses under TT2LP are as follows:
Te Tiriti Lodge (subleased to Ngati Hine Health Trust operating as a community health programme)
In 1830, land was sold to the Church Mission Society by the following Chiefs of which Te Tii was a part of: Kimokimo, Te Kemara, Marupo, Te Tao, Te Arupiro, Te Pahiko, Te Akai Pikitia, Parangi and Te Wera. R eportedly Te Kemara, Hone Heke, Te Haratua, Marupo, Te Hepetahi, Te Pua, Whiorau and Makoare also sold Waitangi land to the Church Mission Society much later on.
Archdeacon Henry Williams gifted back 81 acres to Te Kemara and to the Hapu of Ngati-Rahiri in 1839 as a Reserve for tribal purposes and to keep them near the Mission Church. That hapu being uri from Te Kemara, Marupo, Haratua, Te Tao, Whiorau, Heta Tuhirangi, Hone Heke, Makoare, Te Hepetahi, Mahikai, Peia, Parangi, Te Pua and Hori Pou.
The available block narrative (Maori Land Court records) indicates that the Te Tii Block (81 acres) was partitioned in 1890 and 1918, this included the naming of 251 persons as being the registered owners of the block. On April 15 1954, Te Tii B Trust registered at Auckland. The area concerned being 45 acres, 1 rood and 15 perches with approximately 500 beneficiaries registered. The appointed trustees were Hone Heke Rankin, Eru Moka Pou, Pereri Waharoa Tane, Henare Te Nana, Makere Joyce and Hamiora Maioha.
Later, Te Tii (Waitangi) B3 Trust created and formerly separated from Te Tii A (Marae), becoming the new entity responsible for and to manage the businesses on behalf of its beneficiaries, these currently being 42 residential houses, 6 kaumatua/kuia flats, 1 residential leased property, 4 commercial accommodation operations and a commercial retail arrangement.
It is worth noting however, and as a reminder to us all, that the Marae and the Te Tii B3 Trust beneficiaries are one and the same.
You can follow Te Tii Waitangi on all major social platforms. News, contests and special offers are announced on these platforms.